By Ashley Brouillard, UWO Health Advocate
A hot topic this year has been about self-love, and how to learn to love yourself and your body, especially before trying to love others. Learning to love yourself does not happen overnight, but by following some of these tips, you will be on the right path to loving yourself, one step at a time.
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- Exercise because it is good for you and your soul. Focus on showing off what your body can do instead of focusing on appearance.
- Spend more time with your friends. Relationships will come and go, but your friends have been and will be there forever, so appreciate them.
- Read those books that have been collecting dust on your shelf. Books give us the chance to live many more lives than the one we have been given.
- Take pictures & Print them off. 20 years from now, you will be thankful that you took all those pictures and printed them off instead of letting them sit on some old phone memory.
- Learn to let things go. Holding on to hurt and anger only hurts yourself. Learn to forgive so that you can move on.
- Pay it forward. Do favors for other people without expecting anything in return. It will make you feel better about yourself, and this world could use a little more love.
- Let your heart be open, but don’t be foolish. Be open to people and new things, but don’t let people take advantage of you.
- Be less Judgmental. Everyone has their own story and their own battles they are fighting, whether you can see it or not.
- Realize that you will never be able to please everyone. You will not like everyone you meet, and not everyone will like you. There is nothing wrong with that.
Take a little time every day to love yourself, and embrace all that you are and have yet to become, one step at a time.